Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisor: Medical Coordinator
Status: Full-Time/ Exempt
The Houston Astros are seeking an individual to serve as a Minor League Athletic Trainer at their complex in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. This position will require daily interaction with field staff, team physicians, the Minor League Assistant Medical Coordinator, as well as other staff and front office members in addition to the daily player care responsibilities. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, Spring Training in West Palm Beach, FL as well as coverage of the Dominican Summer League season. Additional Dominican Instructional League coverage and off-season player monitoring will be required as needed. The reporting date would be the beginning of Minor League Spring Training 2022 through the conclusion of The Astros Dominican Academy activity in late October.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- The prevention and care of athletic injuries and illnesses
- Ability to work as a team with other Astros Dominican Complex ATCs
- Implementation and enforcement of COVID-19 health and safety protocols
- Coordinating and facilitating physician appointments and imaging
- Daily game and work out coverage including pre/post treatments and field set up
- Thorough documentation of all injuries/illnesses including daily notes, physician notes, and other required documentation and reporting. Use of the MLB EMR system will be necessary.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism in high stress situations
- Administrative duties including:
- Daily training room cleaning duties
- Hydrotherapy Room Maintenance
- Keeping a detailed inventory of athletic training supplies
- Will require traveling to and staying at the Astros Dominican Complex throughout the 2022 season
Education and/or Experience and Skills:
- NATA-BOC Certified and in good standing
- Eligible for FL and TX state licensure
- CPR/AED certification required
- Previous baseball experience preferred, but not required
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Athletic Training or related field
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
Work is medium demand. Lifting 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Medium strength is required to position patients for examination. May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel to the Dominican Republic and West Palm Beach, Florida is expected for this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.