Job Title: Athletic Training Intern
Department: Baseball Operations
Reports to: Coordinator, Minor League Athletic Training
Status: Seasonal, Full Time, Exempt
Primary Objective: Responsible for assisting in all areas of Athletic Training and player care as assigned by the Coordinator, Minor League Athletic Training.
- Assist in the prevention, evaluation, and treatment of athletic injuries
- Perform manual therapy for players.
- Provide field coverage during practice and game activity.
- Provide timely reporting of injuries and treatments to Coordinator, Minor League Athletic Training.
- Facilitate maintenance exercise programs; ensure compliance of maintenance strengthening and rest and recovery programs.
- Provide rehabilitation services and recondition injured athletes. Serve as an organizational representative and provide athlete transportation to and from medical visits.
- Oversee the cleanliness and organization of the Athletic Training room.
- Accurately record and document treatments according to Major League Baseball (MLB) guidelines, as assigned by Athletic Trainers.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Medicine or related field; or an equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered in lieu of formal education requirements, if approved by management.
- A current Athletic Training (ATC) Certification or current, valid license Physical Therapist (PT) is required. Current valid certification as an acupuncturist preferred.
- Prior work experience in athletic training or physical therapy preferred.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Demonstrates through their actions and interactions with others a commitment to Mariner Purpose, Mission and Values.
- Must be a committed professional, with strong analytic focus.
- Ability to relate to athletes and generate program buy-in.
- Shall demonstrate the ability to be innovative and proactive in promoting new ideas and concepts.
- Shall possess strong decision making ability, knowing when to make a unilateral decision and when to consult with the team or superiors, and how to involve them in the process.
- Shall incorporate strategic thinking; formulating objectives and priorities, and implementing plans consistent with short and long term interests. Capitalizing on opportunities and managing risks.
- Exemplifies a collaborative approach in dealing with management, team members, and vendors.
- Must possess outstanding communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills. Must also be clear and organized, persuasive, yet inclusive.
- Acts in a manner that is fair and ethical, and always with integrity.
- Must possess computer proficiency with MS Office 365 including Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with medical records terminology and ability to properly add documentation into MLB’s electronic medical records system.
Physical Activities and Working Conditions Necessary to Perform Essential Functions:
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to lift 50 lbs., with frequent lifting of 25 lbs.
- Ability to stand and walk for the majority of the work day.
Will perform tasks requiring bending, stopping, kneeling, and walking significant distances.