The Manager, Sports Medicine & Performance – PDL & Umpire Development will primarily be responsible for coordinating preventative care and assisting in development of treatment planning for the Umpire Development Department.
The position works under the supervision of the Major League Baseball (MLB) Director of Sports Medicine & Performance. Candidate is expected to have a working knowledge of current performance technology, best practices, and a proactive approach to injury reduction.
- Manage all umpire injuries/illnesses, including setting up consultation, rehabilitation, and all subsequent follow-up care.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate documentation in league-wide electronic medical record system.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with Team Physicians, Athletic Trainers, MiLB Regional Supervisors, and Umpire Development instruction staff to ensure timely communication and response on medical issues, and standards for umpire care at all levels of MiLB.
- Assist MLB Director Sports Medicine & Performance with various umpire health screenings and physicals.
- Assist MLB administrative staff on aspects of umpire medical care and coordination including, but not limited to, emergency action planning and remote monitoring.
- Work to identify ‘conditioning at risk’ umpires and provide education and training for improvement of health and wellness status, and overall physical development.
- Assist MLB Vice President, Umpire Operations and MLB Vice President, Drug, Health & Safety as indicated.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited professional athletic training education program or similar area of study required.
- Master’s degree in allied health science-related field preferred.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association certification preferred.
- National Athletic Trainer’s Association (NATA) Athletic Trainer and CPR/AED certifications required.
- Current State Licensure in good standing to practice as an athletic trainer.
- ImPACT Concussion Clinician certification preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years athletic training experience required; five (5) years in professional baseball preferred at Major League level.
Please apply by following this link: https://www.mlb.com/careers/opportunities?gh_jid=3648139