POSITION: Assistant Director of Medical Services
REPORTS TO: General Manager/Director of Medical Services
GENERAL PURPOSE: To manage and administrate all aspects of the Medical Department including Major and Minor Leagues
- Work in concert with Director and supervise all operations of the Major League Medical Department
- Direct preventative, rehab and strength programs with 40-man Roster players
- Medical Risk Assessments on Major League trades and free agents
- Medical Risk Assessments on Amateur Draft and Minor League free agents
- Oversee Injury Management of 40-man Major League Players
- Assist Director in Hiring and retention of all Medical personnel
- Assist Director in Selection and vet all Team Physicians and consultants at the Major and Minor League level
- Responsible for developing a Medical budget for the Major League medical department and managing all categories to stay within the budget at the end of the fiscal year.
- Assist Director of Medical Services of an Injury Analytic program to look at Marlin Major and Minor League trends relative to other Major League Organizations.
- Development of an Injury Prevention Program that could be implemented throughout the organization.
- Provide direction and supervision for:
- Head Major League Athletic Trainer
- Head Major League Strength Coach
- Major League Physical Therapist
- This would include providing Job Descriptions for all of above
- Responsible for doing annual or semi-annual performance review.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- A comprehensive and detailed knowledge of orthopedics and sports medicine related to professional baseball players
- Ability to do creative and innovative research that have practical application to the selection and de-selection of professional baseball players
- Knowledge of the budgetary process
- Knowledge, skill and experience of managing clinical personnel
- Self motivator that works independently
- Ability to work at an equal level from a knowledge standpoint with physicians
- Experience in Baseball Research and Injury Analytics
EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING
- Athletic Training Certificate (Required/Preferred)
- Physical Therapy License (Preferred)
- Doctorate level degree in Physical Therapy (Preferred)
- Post Graduate Continuing Education Course specific to Baseball Medicine
REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE
- 10-15 years of Major League Baseball Medical Experience
- Previous management of the medical department at the Major League level
- Hands-on experience in the treatment and evaluation of professional baseball players
- Demonstration of experience in research and risk analysis of baseball injuries.
- Management experience in the operations of a medical facility and professional baseball training room
- Previous history of hiring and retention of employees and staff
Previous history of developing and controlling the budget of a department or clinic.