This position will give successful candidates the opportunity to gain experience in professional baseball while participating in a multi-disciplinary performance department. The MiLB Reconditioning Intern will assist the minor league Reconditioning Staff with daily responsibilities such as daily treatments, training room maintenance, programming, game coverage, and any other duties as assigned by MiLB Reconditioning Coordinator. This is a fixed-term position that will run through the 2023 Minor League season
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the execution of a reconditioning system that efficiently and effectively returns injured MLB 40-man roster players and MiLB players to competition in a high performing, resilient condition.
- Collaboration with the MLB Reconditioning Staff to develop the rehabilitation methodology to be utilized across the organization.
- Collaborate with Athletic Trainers, Physicians, Mental Performance Coaches, S&C Coaches, Sports Scientists, , Front Office, and Player Development staff to optimize player care and injury prevention.
- Develop position specific reconditioning drills ensuring appropriate exposure of volumes and intensities of baseball activities.
- Participation in daily medical meetings, player rehab progressions and daily treatments, game coverage, as well as end of the day reporting.
- Evaluation and enhancement of the current reconditioning protocols.
- Conduct frequent objective assessments and screening of healthy and injured players and utilize this information to inform player progressions and maintenance programs.
- Effectively communicate information specific to player reconditioning progress, workload, and readiness to members of the Performance Staff.
- Collaborate with the Coaching Staff and Reconditioning Strength and Conditioning Coach to guide the position specific and performance side of rehabilitation programs.
- Keep up to date electronic records or treatments and player injuries in the team’s electronic medical records software.
- Maintain all professional credentials and licensure.
- Graduation from an accredited Physical Therapy program.
- Currently licensed to practice as a physical therapist in Florida.
- CPR/First Aid certification.
- Strong knowledge of programming exercises for strength, stability or mobility issues.
- Strong understanding of strength and conditioning theory and programming as well as the ability to coach strength training movements.
- Evidence of continued professional development and education (workshops, accreditations, etc.) with a demonstrated interest in the upper extremity.
- A positive, friendly, and collaborative personality with a passion for assisting others in achieving their goals.
- Must be able to work unconventional hours (Ex. weekends, evening game coverage, etc.).
- Strong desire to be a part of a collaborative and integrative environment that supports professional development and professional excellence.
- Previous experience working in baseball (Collegiate, MiLB, MLB) and other teams sports.
- Strong understanding of efficient movement mechanics (running, throwing, etc.).
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC).
- Passion for baseball and desire to work in professional baseball following the internship.
- Ability to play catch/throw with players as needed during their on-field rehab progressions.
To Apply: Click here
The above information is intended to describe the general nature, type and level of work to be performed. The information is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The individual selected may perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
The New York Mets recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and value the unique qualities individuals of various backgrounds and experiences can offer to the Organization. Our continued success depends heavily on the quality of our workforce. The Organization is committed to providing employees with the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential.