POSITION: Certified Athletic Trainer
LEVEL OF POSITION: DSL – Summer League
ORGANIZATION: Chicago Cubs
JOB STATUS: Full Time Athletic Trainer
CONTACT PERSON(S): Chuck Baughman, MS, ATC
APPLICATION METHOD: Click here to apply
- This is a full-time, 12-month position (November 1st– October 31st) with benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K). The position will start ASAP with responsibilities in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic at the team’s complex.
- Detect dysfunctional movement patterns and design and implement individualized corrective exercise programs to address these dysfunctions.
- Be an active member of the High Performance Athletic Training Staff and participate in continuing education opportunities and promote a culture of progressive learning.
- Coordinate pre- and exit-physicals of professional athletes and staff at the training complex.
- Administer emergency care utilizing appropriate OSHA guidelines and make medical referrals, if necessary.
- Direct day-to-day athletic training room operations.
- Responsible for monthly performance testing (i.e., range of motion, strength) as determined by the High Performance Team.
- Adhere to the guidelines of administrative documentation including, but not limited to, AHMS, Emergency Action Plans, Major and Minor League insurance programs, budgeting inventory management.
- Maintenance, including calibration, of therapeutic modalities in his/her control.
- Maintain positive working relationship with team physicians and coordinate appropriate medical testing as directed by the team physician.
- Comply with and establish a line of communication between the professional athlete, manager, coaching staff, Major and Minor League Medical Staff’s.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of High Performance, Director of Player Development, Head Athletic Trainer.
- Complete a yearly evaluation and review with Director of High Performance, Director of Player Development, Head Athletic Trainer and other appropriate personnel.
- The athletic trainer will identify and carry out the education and counseling of players and staff regarding their injuries/health.
- Assist with coordinating surgeries & follow-up care appointments for all players.
- Follow up with athlete’s health history and injury status of players.
- Coordinate with the team orthopedic and internist regarding appointments, evaluations, and medical concerns.
- Certification by the Board of Certification of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- State Licensure is required where applicable
- Maintain certification in Athletic Training by fulfilling Continuing Education requirements
- Must maintain professional liability insurance coverage
- Certification in CPR/AED and First Aid
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
- Master’s degree or advanced coursework related to healthcare
- Certification or advanced coursework related to Strength and Conditioning
- Previous work experience in professional baseball
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until position is filled.