Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisor: Medical Coordinator / Affiliate ATC
Classification: Full-Time / Non-Exempt (Temp)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros are seeking qualified individuals for the position of Minor League ATC Apprentice in the Sports Medicine & Performance Department serving at one of our minor league affiliates in: Sugar Land, TX; Corpus Christi, TX; Asheville, NC; Fayetteville, NC; West Palm Beach, FL. This role is designed to provide a learning experience to athletic trainers who are looking to gain experience in professional sport while assisting the affiliate athletic trainer with various duties listed below.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with injury management for all affiliate players
- Assist with athletic training room day-to-day operations
- Provide on field emergency medical care during games, batting practice, team travel, team hotel and other relevant scenarios
- Maintain inventory for home and travel athletic training room
- Assist Affiliate ATC with daily communication on injured athlete’s status, as directed
- Assist with short-term/long-term rehabilitations as directed by the Affiliate ATC
- Accompany players to physician/imaging appointments as needed
The Minor League ATC Apprentice will also play a key role in ensuring player and staff safety and coordinating the requirements of the Major League Baseball Operations Manual. The specific duties and responsibilities of the ATC/ICPC Apprentice may vary slightly by Club and facility, but will include the following:
- Working with the Infection Control Prevention Coordintor to monitor and enforce compliance within MLB’s and the Club’s infection control and prevention policies through regular audits, observation, checklists, logs, and other methods.
- Meeting with players and staff to reinforce the Club’s commitment to infection control.
- With the assistance of other Club staff, establishing, monitoring, and periodically updating policies and procedures on proper hygiene, regular cleaning, and disinfection of Restricted Areas (and the equipment therein), and disseminating written materials and updates on the protocols.
- Ensuring the proper screening of players and Club staff granted access to Restricted Areas.
- Serving as a resource on infection control and prevention for all players and Club staff.
- Participating in the development and execution of training and education programs related to infection control and prevention and ensuring compliance with the training and education efforts by all players and staff.
- Confirming the availability and supply of cleaning supplies and PPE throughout Restricted Areas.
- Maintaining Minimum Standards consistent with the Houston Astros and Major League Baseball with medical record documentation.
Other responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Administer screening questionnaire to all individuals tested for COVID-19 and those entering the facility
- Transport COVID-19 test kits to courier for shipment
- Monitor and track all test kits.
- Inventory assessment of all PPE
- Complete all documentation associated with testing into the Major League Baseball electronic medical records documentation system.
- Assist in the implementation of educational programs and informational documents to players, coaches, and staff
- Updating COVID-19 log for the front office
- Assist with the packing and unpacking of PPE and travel trunks for the team prior to and post travel
Education and/or Experience and Skills:
- NATA-BOC Certified and in good standing
- Eligible for FL and TX state licensure
- CPR/AED certification required
- Previous baseball experience preferred, but not required
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required
- Bachelors or master’s degree in Athletic Training or related field
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
Work is medium demand. Lifting 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Medium strength is required to position patients for examination. May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel is expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.