Department: Sports Medicine and Performance
Reports to: MiLB Medical Coordinator
Classification: Full-Time/Exempt (TEMP)
To apply: Click here to apply
The Houston Astros are seeking individuals to serve as Athletic Training Apprentices at all domestic affiliates (Sugar Land, Corpus Christi, Asheville, Fayetteville). This position will require daily collaboration with field staff, team physicians, the Affiliate Athletic trainer(s), colleagues within SM&P, as well as other staff and front office members. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to Spring Training, coverage of the assigned Minor League Affiliate Season, and (if assigned) post-season camps. The report date would be Spring Training 2024 through the completion of the assigned Minor League Affiliate Season.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist the affiliate athletic trainer with prevention and care of athletic injuries and illnesses daily
- Assisting with the facilitation of physician appointments and imaging
- Daily game and work out coverage including pre/post treatments and field set-up
- Thorough documentation of all injuries/illnesses including daily notes, physician notes, and other required documentation and reporting. Use of the MLB EMR system will be necessary.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism in high stress situations
- Administrative duties including:
- Organization and managing Athletic Training Room Supplies
- Assisting with Capital Equipment Planning/Ordering
- Daily training room cleaning duties
- Travel Trunk inventory/packing for road trips
- Hydrotherapy Room Maintenance
- Daily communication with First Responder staff to ensure emergency equipment, medical cart & supplies are prepared and safely secured.
- This position will include significant travel during Spring Training and in-season (and possibly post- and off-season):
- Spring Training in West Palm Beach, Florida (~ mid-Feb to end of March)
- Minor League Season in assigned affiliate location (~April 1 to Sept 15)
- Other duties as assigned
- NATA-BOC Certified and in good standing
- Eligible for FL and TX or NC state licensure (based an assigned affiliate)
- CPR/AED certification required
- Previous baseball experience preferred, but not required
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Athletic Training or related field
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
Work is medium demand. Lifting 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Medium strength is required to position patients for examination. May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel is expected in this role (please see above).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.